Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Kirra

Default wish list was Burgundy Iceberg

"Daniel Hanna" wrote in message
home.com.au...
Striped - Scentimental, Oranges&Lemons (not sure if I can get this in
Australia) or one of the other McGredy striped roses

You can get all of these - some are at www.swanes.com

Thanks, I had missed it on their site. Have you ordered from swanes before?
I noticed that their prices seem higher than quite a few other mail order
places but is that because their roses are of a higher standard?

OGR/Austin - Heritage, Evelyn or Chaucer

Ditto. I found Evelyn rather weak but Heritage is a real trooper.
Unfortunately the blooms are delicate and shatter very quickly after
opening.

I really am leaning toward Heritage at the moment. Evelyn sounds nice, but
I've read in a few different places that it is not the most vigorous plant.

Cut Flower - Fragrant Cloud, Tropicana, Mary Delahunty

Don't know Mary but the other two are good for cutting. Watch out for
mildew on these ones.

Either we don't have mildew up here or I don't have any mildew prone roses.
I got a tiny bit on one of my patio roses in Spring last year but I sprayed
once and it went away. Do you have a favourite out of Fragrant Cloud or
Tropicana if I was going to get only one?

Generic - Stephen's Big Purple, Brilliant Pink Iceberg, Burgundy
Icebeg, Old Master, Granada - has anyone not been enticed by Shiva's
photos

I'm not an Iceberg fan myself. I have been swayed by Granada (thanks to
Shiva) and I have one growing very well in a pot.

I like Iceberg as a lanscape rose not necessarily for the form of each
individual flower. We live on a corner block and when we moved in there was
a very plain wooden fence down almost the full length of the long side of
our block. Our two climbing icebergs add a lot of white that can seen quite
from down the street and now the fence is not a feature. And it seems like
they are almost constantly in bloom or bud.

Thanks for your comments, Daniel.

Kirra
Brisbane, Australia
Z10