Old 09-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Cass

Default Training Climbers

In article , Cass
wrote:

In article
aHlwYXRpYQ==.0b2471461c119f03ff110a81386dcc21@104 9811330.cotse.net,
Shiva wrote:

If Joseph's Coat does what it is supposed to do, I am going to have to
figure out a way to attach it to a privacy fence. The fence is 6 feet
tall, and made of wood. I don't want a major project--and besides that I
can barely drive a nail in straight. What are the various methods used,
and what are your (collective) experiences with them? Thanks!

Is the fence solid and smooth wood on your side, i.e. is it your
privacy fence or your neighbor's?

You have a several choices, including growing JC as a shrub. The best
I've ever seen it is espaliered on a chain link fence. I'll take a
picture later so you get the idea. JC is not that large, produces about
7 basals, needs only about 3 feet at the base and fans out to about 5
or 6 feet at the top. It is not a really horizontal climber like you'd
put on a 3 ft. split rail fence. Picture a fan, and that's the idea of
the angle of the canes. In my experience, you will get those basals
while the rose is relatively young, say within the first 5 years. Don't
cut off those basals. JC will produce new long continuing laterals from
the base of those basals.

Here's a lousy shot, with the contract stepped way up so you can see
the shape of the canes and how they are trained:

http://home.earthlink.net/~cbernstei...es/JoeCoat.jpg