Old 29-08-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Garden Oddity: What the heck is it?

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

A true puffball will be solid inside, like a marshmallow, when you cut
it in half. An immature amanita can have a little fetal looking thing
inside. The amanitas are deadly poison. Puffballs are good eating if you
pick them when they're really fresh. (We have puffballs all over the
place here.)

Never eat a 'shroom that you aren't sure of. It's not worth the risk.

Jan

I definitely would not. My husband had a bad experience in college---
extremely ill for days--- from mushrooms picked by a friend who claimed
he knew what he was doing.

When I lived in Ohio, we had a lot of puffballs. My dad ate wild
mushrooms a lot (picked by a friend). I was wary even then.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot