Old 29-08-2008, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Shipova Pear

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

Hi all, I have ordered some trees to be delivered this autumn. The
other half
said we have far too many apple, pear, plum, cherry, peach, fig,
chestnut, walnut and hazel already, so she wanted something different,
O.K., I decided on mulberry, medlar and the sorbus x pyrus hybrid
shipova pear.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else grown a Shipova, and what are
your experiences of this tree.

--
Tim Perry

Hi Tim,

Sorry, can't answer your pear question as I haven't grown one, but we do get
a decent crop of flowers and fruit from our Loquat. In SE London on heavy
clay (but a fairly well-drained hilly site) it flowers in autumn, sets fruit
and holds it until spring, then generally gives up its crop around July
time.

Perry is the perfect name for a grower of pears :~) Perhaps you could
make some (perry, that is) when you get a crop. (Before you ask, I don't
have a recipe .. but someone here might).

Good luck.
Spider