Old 30-08-2008, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Shipova Pear

In article ,
says...

Tim Perry;813141 Wrote:
I bought some Morus nigra seed from Thompson & Morgan about 25 years
ago. They produced fine trees, very upright, and now over 35 feet tall,
but not one flower or fruit...

There are some plants which flower much sooner if grafted from, or
grown from a cutting of, an already flowering plant. So maybe that is
why mulberries you get from nurseries are so expensive - they are
vegetatively propagated from a mature plant. Mine had one or two
flowers the first year I planted it, almost as tall as me it cost me
about £40. I'm trying to stop it getting too big or I'll never be able
to get the fruit. Mine's a very upright form too, I've pruned it to a
lollipop standard shape. I've tried striking some cuttings off mine,
but without success.

Likewise, my Metrosideros umbellata (Southern rata, hardy form of the
New Zealand Christmas Tree) has flowered after just 7 years as a low
lollipop-shaped bush rather than the 25 years it takes from seed,
because it was grown from a cutting from a mature plant. Wonderful
plant, very rare in cultivation here. It looks like some ancient
gnarled stunted plant, whereas in fact it isn't. People just don't
realise it is fairly hardy. Wish I could get my damn wisteria to flower
- it had one flower, its first, last year so I thought it would do the
biz this year, but it didn't, despite all my thoughtful pruning.

--
echinosum

No ones wisterias down here had a good year this year after the heavy
frosts at the start of April, if we have a more normal season next then I
am sure it will get started, they tend to get better and better :~)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk