Old 30-08-2008, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alma Alma is offline

Default Tree stumps query

Had a Rowan cut down a few years ago and the chap did the same and put some
old diesel oil on the stump - it died so I guess yours will be OK. The
problem I had was it was in the corner of a lawn and suckers kept coming up
where the roots ran across - I just kept breaking them off as I saw them and
it eventally gave up.

Alma
"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Yesterday I had a tree cut down in my front garden. It had got too
big and unmanageable. It was a Judas tree, which I had grown from
seed. I had been waiting for a recommended tree surgeon to come and
do it, but yesterday I had two men with a chain saw come to the door
offering to do "tree work", so I let them cut it down as I was keen to
be rid of it. Sad to see it go but it had become a nuisance.

My query: I asked them to cut it down to the ground and treat the
stumps. What they did was cut a few deep grooves with the tip of the
chain saw and let the mixture of fuel from the chain saw trickle in.
This they said would stop it re-growing.
Have I been conned?
Should it not have been a proper stump killer?
Advice please.

Pam in Bristol