Old 30-08-2008, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian[_3_] Ian[_3_] is offline

Default Tree stumps query

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Yesterday I had a tree cut down in my front garden. It had got too
big and unmanageable. It was a Judas tree, which I had grown from
seed. I had been waiting for a recommended tree surgeon to come and
do it, but yesterday I had two men with a chain saw come to the door
offering to do "tree work", so I let them cut it down as I was keen to
be rid of it. Sad to see it go but it had become a nuisance.

My query: I asked them to cut it down to the ground and treat the
stumps. What they did was cut a few deep grooves with the tip of the
chain saw and let the mixture of fuel from the chain saw trickle in.
This they said would stop it re-growing.
Have I been conned?
Should it not have been a proper stump killer?
Advice please.

Pam in Bristol

I drilled holes in a tree stump and poured old engine oil into them.
It's certainly worked as the stump has crumbled away from the
roots that are left. Anything like diesel, engine oil, creosote will
do the job. It drives all the water out and cuses the stump to dry
out to the point you can kick bits away from it.