Old 30-08-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Black walnuts

In article ,
wrote:

Salutations, gentlefolk,

Did a bit of research and found that the little green tennisballs
falling in my front yard actually contain black walnuts.

Any advice on how to seperate the edible part from the "containers'',
and prepare them ?

My dad would drive his car back and forth to crush the shell. I like
black walnut brittle. Be aware that the dye in those shells is potent.
STAIN BIG TIME

Second, another walnut tree a few houses down has a gypsy moth nest
among its branches. Any advice on how this investation oughta be
dealt with, and how to persuade the owner to deal with it ?

Gypsy moths do not have nests just troublesome egg clusters. Name
skips me but perhaps EASTERN TENT CATERPILLAR

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef423.asp

Yours, John Desmond

Bill

--