Old 31-08-2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Black walnuts

In article ,
enigma wrote:

gypsy moths make nests in the spring. what your neighbor has
is autumn bagworms. they're ugly, but don't cause nearly the
damage the gypsy moth larvae do.

Bagworms are small nests resembling a large ladies earring.

There is a good photo at:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef440.asp

Tent caterpillars spin these things that look like a mass of spider webs
full of caterpillars.

There are good photos at:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef423.asp

What you are seeing now is the fall webworm.

There are good photos at:

http://www.bugwood.org/factsheets/webworm.html

Also see: "Leaf-feeding caterpillars confused with gypsy moth" at:

http://www.entm.purdue.edu/GM/Trees/...ingPillars.htm

Regarding Black Walnuts. I have several acres of them and some of my
neighbors do harvest them. I recommend following the instructions posted
by the University of Minnesota at:

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...404blkwal.html

Do not confuse black walnuts with English/Persian Walnuts or Carpathian
Walnuts. What you buy in the store for walnuts is English/Carpathian
walnuts. Some people in the north raise Carpathian walnuts since they
grow in colder climates and are fairly good also. Black walnuts are
edible but not as popular since they have a strong flavor. They are
mostly used in baking and not eaten raw very often.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html