Old 31-08-2008, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Mark A.Meggs Mark A.Meggs is offline

Default How do to prepare onions for storage?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:41:38 -0400, Wilson
wrote:

It's my first season for onions and am wondering how to best store them. I
planted a pound of yellow onion sets. From the wind and rain, almost all the
green is on the ground, but still green.

Should I wait for the tops to wilt? How about braiding onions? Are they
braided while the tops are still green?

Thanks.

This is my first year growing onions too. I bought a "unit" of plants
and wound with 100 a month earlier than expected. From the googling
I did -

Let the stems/tops turn brown

Pull them up and harden them off for several days - this just means
putting them in some basket or container that will let the air
circulate and keep the out of direct sun. This causes the outer
layers to dry out and form the skin that protects the rest of the
onion.

Brush off the dirt, trim the tops and roots.

Put in mesh bags and store in a cool dark place.

- Mark