Old 09-04-2003, 07:32 AM
Chookie

Default Jacaranda structural question

I have a jacaranda sapling out the front and my mental picture is of a lovely
cool green canopy over our driveway, well, in a few years, it's only 1.5m
high. Except that we have a small problem. My Dopey (if Dear) Husband has
hit it with the whippersnipper a few times, and we now have a number of shoots
rising from the base, I presume as a result of damage to the collar.

I feel I should remove these new shoots, or the tree will eventually split off
at the base. The question is: which trunk should I leave? One of the new
shoots is growing strongly and actually looks in better nick than the original
main trunk.

Any thoughts or experience out there?

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990