Old 31-08-2008, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Just a tiny bit of boasting......

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 30/8/08 19:49, in article , "Spider"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
June Hughes kindly alerted me to this today. It's "A little place I
know"
and this week's is by Guy Watson of Riverford Farm:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty....foodanddrink1

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

Oh well done, Sacha! I'm really pleased for you. Obviously, next time
we
visit we'll have to stay long enough to enjoy a cake .. or two...
spiders
have two stomachs, did you know that?! Any excuse to feast on some
scoff!
:~)

Spider

No, I didn't know spiders have two stomach but perhaps your first stomach
can deal with broccoli and Stilton soup and your second with a cream tea!

Sounds good to me ... Yum yum!

when I was at school I remember being told that spiders have lungs that
are
formed rather like the leaves of books. So - they take in enough oxygen
for the quick dash and then run out and have to wait to recoup!

Quite right! Well remembered. Actually, it's a bit more complicated than
that because there are mygalomorph spiders (the more primitive, chunky
tarantula types) which have the book lungs you describe; then there are the
araneomorph spiders (more evolved, less chunky types inc. most British
spiders) which have book lungs *plus* a tracheal spiracle (breathing tube),
which allows them more efficient breathing and sprinting ability. However,
even these eventually run out of breath. The real limiter, though, is their
blood pressure/body fluid pressure. In effect, spiders are powered by
hydraulics. I'm sure you've seen a dead spider with its legs drawn up
underneath its body; this is because the hydraulics have failed. The 33
muscles in a spiders leg only *retract* the legs, body fluids *extend* the
legs. Therefore, when the hydraulics fail, the muscles automatically draw
the legs back under the spider.

Oh now look .. you've got me rambling on about spiders! I'd better do a
hundred lines of "This is a gardening newsgroup"!! Then I'll scuttle off
into the garden.

Spider