Old 31-08-2008, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Alan is offline

Default has the Met office lost the plot?

In message , Nick Maclaren
wrote

In article ,
Alan writes:

| A few years back one of the retiring TV weather men admitted that if
| they just reported today's weather as tomorrow's weather they would
| probably be more accurate than trying to analyse the data from any
| computer model. ...

That's a few decades ago, actually, as far as the actual patterns go.
The other problem with forecasting is that most people want to know
if THEY will be rained on - and a forecast of patchy rainfall over an
area may be right, but isn't what they regard as right.

What's the point of a weather forecast if it doesn't tell me what I want
to know?

With multi-channel TV you can get any forecast you want. Changing
channels and watching a second forecast within 5 minutes of the first
often gives a completely different picture of the weather, with the
forecaster with the biggest boobs being the most accurate.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com