Old 31-08-2008, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Tomato "green shoulder": always means too much sun?

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Isabella Woodhouse said:

In article ,
Pat Kiewicz wrote:

Some of the old heirloom oxheart-types I've grown have had massively
green shoulders, while others have not. We've had an exceptional
amount of sunshine in the last month and a half. Of the varieties
I'm growing this summer only one of them 'Juliet' is showing any sign
of green shoulders (tiny ones). I'm growing 'Juliet' mainly for drying
so will just cut the green parts when I halve them.

Veering off the topic of green shoulders a bit. We also often plant
Juliet. I did not realize they dried well. Do you do them in a
dehydrator?

Yes, I use a dehydrator.

I'm trying Juliet to replace a variety I can't find anymore, 'Ruby.'
'Ruby' was grape-tomato size and I was able to dry it by cutting it
in half. Ruby dried to a sweet, rich flavor, good enough to snack on.
'Juliet' is less sweet when dried, but has a complex flavor that brings
to mind a dark, red wine. Not a substitute for 'Ruby' (certainly not for
snacking on, at least) but should be interesting to cook with.

Have you planted Sweet Baby Girl? That is my husband's
favorite. I have been slow roasting and freezing those all summer.

I've not tried that variety. I'll have to keep it in mind.

It's very flavorful, sweet and amazingly productive. I cut those in
half, too, when I roast them. We have more fun doing tomato taste tests
every year. We lay out a bunch of different tomatoes and then go
blindfolded one at a time of course. Usually we do the little tomatoes
first by themselves. We comment on sweetness, flavor complexity, skin
characteristics, texture, etc. We also rate things other than taste too.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot