Old 31-08-2008, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default has the Met office lost the plot?

In article ,
Charlie Pridham writes:

| This is true the vast majority of the ships did only a range of
| observations at the surface and apart from observing cloud type were not
| able to tell what was going on above, I believe from talking to some of
| the other officers that some of the passenger ships did do balloon work
| but I don't know how many

I am pretty sure that it didn't provide enough coverage to be of much
use for (UK terrestrial) forecasting - certainly, that is what I was
told. Even by the 1960s, passenger ships were dwindling.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.