Old 31-08-2008, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default What kind of plant correction

"Dave Poole" wrote after Bob wrote:

I was thinking more
of...http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/2809572565/
(Although I thought it was now moved out of Phal)

Ah well that's a deciduous species in its true habitat rather than an
aphyllous one. However, you make a good point because it endures
seasonal dry periods without leaves and therefore must use its aerial
roots for subsistence since there are no true storage organs. In
cultivation it tends to behave as an evergreen unless forced into
dormancy.

thanhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrophylax_lindenii
Which has been moved!

I just can't keep up with the "splitters".

I don't even bother to try Bob. That treasure has been in more genera
than many have had hot dinners and I suspect it will be shifted to
another sub-tribe before very long. It seems to me that the
'splitters' are a bunch of self-serving jitterbugs who cannot allow
the status quo to remain for fear that folks will catch on and realise
that they are too anal for words. Just look what they've done to
Odontoglossum! And to what purpose?

Thank goodness Odonts were never my scene, cost a fortune in new labels.
:-)
Then there's what they have done to confuse us all with Laelia, Sophronitis
and Cattleya, some plants have been in all three seemingly in as many years.
If they start on the Paphs and Phrags I will get annoyed.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden