Old 01-09-2008, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default connecting to hose

Jacqueline Davidson wrote:
Our new house has only two outside faucets, neither is near the patio. We
want to bring a water outlet to the patio by connecting something to the
faucet, copper or PVC plastic, which will allow us to connect a water faucet
at the patio which can be turned on and off, for the patio plants. We also
need to have the water on the side of the house (which will water the front
plantings too). My husband is a great do it yourselfer, but not a plumber
so far.
Comments?
And thank you to all the help I get on this list. Much appreciated.
Jackie
zone 7, MS

IMHO: The best solution for a "great do it yourselfer" who does not posses
plumbing skills is to run the water lines him(her)self, drilling all of the
holes, inserting the pipe, and doing the donkey work that would tie up so
much expensive plumber time and then call in a pro to make the actual
connections. PEX pipe is probably the easiest method ever conceived for
piping and is easily within the range of any weekend DIYer. The only
critical thing is that it not be kinked and that it not be run over sharp
edges or other items that might cut it. Actually the connections aren't
that difficult either but they do require an investment in equipment that
can't be used for anything else and which isn't trivially cheap. Of course
you'd have to have arranged for a plumber who is willing to work with you
and for any locally-required permits.

Of course the foregoing assumes the ability to actually route the pipes
through a basement or crawl space. If the job is going to entail
jackhammering a route through a concrete slab or tearing apart walls then
perhaps some serious reconsideration would be called for.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]