Old 01-09-2008, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default What kind of plant correction

In article ,
Des Higgins writes:

| My personal gripe is a relatively minor one but I only recently
| realised that more or less half of the plant families that I used to
| know have been done away with. Some genius decided that you cannot
| have a plant family that is purely descriptive such as Leguminosae or
| Compositae; you have to name the family after one of its genera. ...

That was pure dogmatism - there is no other word for it. It was
completely unnecessary and UTTERLY stupid, too, because removing
the naming genus or adding one that overrides it causes the family
to be renamed.

What IS Leguminosae called this week, anyway?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.