Old 01-09-2008, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default The usual autumn 'things flowering at the wrong time of year'thread

K wrote:

And the indoor jasmine which scented our porch in April, and which I put
outside for the summer, is about to open its flowers again.

I'd be very disappointed if my 'indoor' jasmine (J. polyanthum) wasn't
in flower at this time of year. I grow it outside here and it has a
major flowering in March, sporadic flowering until late August and
then a serious build up to a good autumn and early winter show. Mine
is a mass of buds again, but it does this every year. It's the nature
of the beast.

Viburnum x bodnantense often flowers precociously in autumn down here,
well before the leaves colour and fall. So much so that I tend to
look upon it as having a very long season of flower terminating in
early spring.

It's all part of life's rich pattern as they say.