Old 02-09-2008, 04:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stephen Henning Stephen Henning is offline

Default Hydrangea

In article ,
Sheila wrote:

Stephen Henning wrote:
Sheila wrote:

Does it really live up to blooming all summer or is that just hype?

Almost. It first blooms on old wood and then blooms on new wood. There
is a gap where it is between old and new wood. Mine do well here in
Zone 6. I have heard some complaints from colder zones. Endless Summer
is a brand name and not a variety, since they have an entire series of
Endless Summer hydrangeas.

Thanks Stephen, I've tried the Endless Summer but the deer ate them
before they bloomed. We're putting 6 strand wire up around the back
then I'll plan some more next spring.

Mine is in a wet area with underground springs and has deer fencing
around it. It is pink. It is near some rhododendrons and azaleas, so I
can't add aluminum sulfate. Aluminum will eventually kill some plants
like rhododendrons and azaleas. It takes both aluminum and acid soil to
make most of the blue/pink hydrangeas turn blue. The acid soil I have,
but not the aluminum. I also have oak leaf, lace cap hydrangeas,
regular mop-head hydranageas and the Endless Summer. The oak leaf
hydrangea will have to be cut back.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html