Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sheila[_3_] Sheila[_3_] is offline

Default Hydrangea

Stephen Henning wrote:
In article ,
Sheila wrote:

Stephen Henning wrote:
Sheila wrote:

Does it really live up to blooming all summer or is that just hype?
Almost. It first blooms on old wood and then blooms on new wood. There
is a gap where it is between old and new wood. Mine do well here in
Zone 6. I have heard some complaints from colder zones. Endless Summer
is a brand name and not a variety, since they have an entire series of
Endless Summer hydrangeas.

Thanks Stephen, I've tried the Endless Summer but the deer ate them
before they bloomed. We're putting 6 strand wire up around the back
then I'll plan some more next spring.

Mine is in a wet area with underground springs and has deer fencing
around it. It is pink. It is near some rhododendrons and azaleas, so I
can't add aluminum sulfate. Aluminum will eventually kill some plants
like rhododendrons and azaleas. It takes both aluminum and acid soil to
make most of the blue/pink hydrangeas turn blue. The acid soil I have,
but not the aluminum. I also have oak leaf, lace cap hydrangeas,
regular mop-head hydranageas and the Endless Summer. The oak leaf
hydrangea will have to be cut back.

Last place I lived I had lacecaps that we cut back every year after they
bloomed, also had mopheads. My oak leaf hydrangea did not do so well,
but maybe it had too much shade. Looking forward to next spring to
planting roses and hydrangeas

--
Sheila
http://swdalton.com