Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim S. Jim S. is offline

Default Crabgrass and clover hell

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:55:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sep 1, 7:12*pm, Jim S. wrote:
I have been fighting trying to contain and eliminate crangrass all
summer long, but I think I am losing the battle :-( *I tried local
spraying, and after multiple applications (4-5 applications), a week
or so apart, even increasing the concentration of the spray by a
factor of 2, all I got was real yellow grass in the area, but the
crabgras, that looked as if it was dieing, came back even stringer. *I
also ries a more systemic approach of granules to the whole yars,
following the directions real carefully, and after two applications,
same thing. *And now, the yeard is also being overrun by clover.

Help, how do I kill these parasites?

Jim
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Your location is critical to providing advice and without it we're
shooting in the dark. If you're anywhere where frost can be expected
next month, I'd say your best bet is to do nothing now. Wait until
Spring and apply a pre-emergent at the proper time.

If you really want to whack it now, Acclaim is very effective. You
have to buy it at an agricultural supply house or online, and it isn't
cheap. In my experience, the crabgrass killers sold at the home and
garden centers aren't very effective, if at all. Plus, now you have
mature plants. Any herbicide is going to work a lot better when the
plants are young.

For clover, general selective herbicides aren't very effective
either. Look for a product specifically made for clover and similar.
I know Ortho makes one.

Oops, sorry. I am in Massachusetts, so we probably are going to get
frost next month :-)

O.K., so not much I can do at this time of the year, right, I need to
attack it early spring. I'll try. It's jusy that I have been trying
since early spring, and haven't neem able to do anything :-(

I'll also look at acclaim and see if there is a way to get a head
start for next year.

Thanks,
Jim
** Posted from