Old 09-04-2003, 10:44 AM
da

Default Ridding a lawn of moss

Isn't it interesting how all these theories come out but no-one asks the
obvious question - how do you mow your lawn?

Ah, that would have been done by the useless gardener we used to have!
Always clippings left around after he had gone. Almost certainly never
aerated the lawn or fed it. He wont be coming back this year!

The commonest and biggest cause of moss is cuttings - i.e. people that use
hover mowers and don't remove (completely or effectively) the debris left
behind. I know, I've been there. My lawn has improved immeasurably since I
bought a rotary mover (i.e. one with wheels) that collects the grass

leaving
only a little to rake up (or run over again at a higher setting to 'vac'

it
up) afterwards. That and an application of 'Weed-and-Feed' twice a year

and
it works wonders. I use one by Baby Bio as it is blue so you can see where
you've been, and a proper 'wheeled bucket' applicator. I also lashed out
some years ago on a Qualcast Lawnraker - best £30 I ever spent.

Hmmm, you see none of that has been done for a few years now. I am sure it
can be repaired - but it guess it might take a while.