Old 01-09-2008, 11:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Can't give 'em

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 17:39:06 EDT, Jerseyj wrote:

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message
I've been trying to give pond plants away for a month. Signs in stores. Word
of mouth. Pet stores that carry pond supplies (one went under). No
takers,.... off to the compost pile. :-(

A lot of folks here won't take plants from an "unkown" pond. That's not
a comment on your personal trustworthiness, just how a lot of folks feel
about it. They'd rather not borrow any suspected "issues".

I think "giving away" could also be the problem (most issues can be solved
with a permanganate treatment... or even isolation, ime).

We had a ponder locally who wanted to sell a koi by best offer. Well the
majority know his koi are high quality compared to most around here, and no
one was willing to even take a look, let alone offer. So his next ad to me
was to say it was free. I recommended instead of free to put it up for $20,
he sold it immediately.

I'm just guessing, but as far as plants, people seeing a sign for free
plants, they might figure it is too late, they're certainly gone by the
time they call.... Then there is always the fact that fall is a hard time
to sell anything garden related, why nurseries start having sales.

Personally anything I don't sell by the 1st of August I hold for next year,
or take as door prizes to the koi club meetings. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us