Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
D Kat[_2_] D Kat[_2_] is offline

Default Wintering Frogs

"kathy" wrote in message
If you use kitty litter get the ultra plain stuff, no
odor treated or pretty smelling.

I guess you also might be able to use untreated soil from
your garden, wet it down good with pond water and slooowly
lower it into the pond. I'm all about trying to stick as close
to Mother Nature's way of doing things as possible.

My frogs do fine in our lined pond. The amount of muck down
there depends on the year and how ambitious we are in the
spring when we clean, if we clean at all that year.

When I have lost frogs it has been because of a power outage
and massive snow which ices over the pond for an extended
period of time. I use an air pump to keep a hole open in the
ice.

k :-)

I stopped getting tadpoles because my frogs died over the winter - I leave
the muck on the bottom because there are worms in it plus I used to leave me
lilies potless but it did not seem to be enough protection. Also I have
always had a pond hole either from an airstone or from a heater so it wasn't
that. I have pottery clay leftovers but it strikes me as too heavy. I was
hoping the kitty litter (no odor control) would be lighter for them. Maybe
a mix of sand and clay or just sand? Getting soil out of my yard is almost
impossible. The damn plants just don't want to share. I have not a clue
what I'm doing and I really don't want to find dead frogs next spring (so
why did I get tadpoles this year... they were there, end of season, no one
was giving them a home, I could not resist..)

Donna