Old 02-09-2008, 04:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Wintering Frogs

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 20:02:49 EDT, kathy wrote:

The question that comes to mind is do they *really* bury themselves
in mud in nature?

Well, if my memory serves me [and the remote memory is still pretty
goodg] about 45 yrs ago I tipped a rock over and found a frog
frozen into a hollow under the rock.
.. . . .

I had to Google it. This page;
http://www.vanaqua.org/education/aquafacts/frogs.html
says "Hibernating frogs frequently burrow in the soil, which could be
at the bottom of a pond, under a log, or in a garden. "

A thought comes to mind. Frogs breathe air. How do they go to the
bottom of a pond for months and live? And if they breathe through
their skin- then why do they leave just their nostrils out of the
water when they hide?

Jim