Old 09-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Victoria Clare

Default Flowers from Spain

Sacha wrote in
:

Well, I may have been at fault. It certainly had naturalised at
Trelowarren in an derelict greenhouse in a walled garden, but that
must be about the most sheltered location in the UK outside Torquay!

Even Cornwall can have its cold spots! But the conditions you
describe do sound very sheltered and ideal.

Well, my bit of Cornwall is not the warmest, but I'm now thinking of trying
this in my greenhouse. I have a soil bed under my greenhouse staging that
I don't tend to grow anything in because it's a bit difficult to get at and
shaded by the staging.

There is a corner broken off one of the panes down there, so I'm thinking -
plant into the shaded bed under the staging, and train the shoots out
through the little gap into the outside world, where there is a sunny
berberis hedge it can ramble over.

It's not a heated greenhouse though, so I guess I will need to take
cuttings each year and overwinter inside, if I try this.

Any obvious holes in this idea that I have not spotted?

I have grown annual purple ipomoeas in that greenhouse and they seed
themselves about in there. But I've decided it's time for a change because
I've grown them from seed for about 6 years now, and the flowers are
starting to get noticeably smaller with each new generation now.

Victoria