Old 02-09-2008, 04:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Crabgrass and clover hell

On Sep 1, 9:20*pm, Jim S. wrote:
On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 16:55:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Sep 1, 7:12*pm, Jim S. wrote:
I have been fighting trying to contain and eliminate crangrass all
summer long, but I think I am losing the battle :-( *I tried local
spraying, and after multiple applications (4-5 applications), a week
or so apart, even increasing the concentration of the spray by a
factor of 2, all I got was real yellow grass in the area, but the
crabgras, that looked as if it was dieing, came back even stringer. *I
also ries a more systemic approach of granules to the whole yars,
following the directions real carefully, and after two applications,
same thing. *And now, the yeard is also being overrun by clover.

Help, how do I kill these parasites?

Jim
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

Your location is critical to providing advice and without it we're
shooting in the dark. * If you're anywhere where frost can be expected
next month, I'd say your best bet is to do nothing now. * Wait until
Spring and apply a pre-emergent at the proper time.

If you really want to whack it now, Acclaim is very effective. * You
have to buy it at an agricultural supply house or online, and it isn't
cheap. * In my experience, the crabgrass killers sold at the home and
garden centers aren't very effective, if at all. *Plus, now you have
mature plants. *Any herbicide is going to work a lot better when the
plants are young.

For clover, general selective herbicides aren't very effective
either. *Look for a product specifically made for clover and similar.
I know Ortho makes one.

Oops, sorry. *I am in Massachusetts, so we probably are going to get
frost next month :-)

O.K., so not much I can do at this time of the year, right, I need to
attack it early spring. *I'll try. *It's jusy that I have been trying
since early spring, and haven't neem able to do anything :-(

I'll also look at acclaim and see if there is a way to get a head
start for next year.

Thanks,
Jim
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**- Hide quoted text -

Crabgrass pre-emergent in the spring. My rule of thumb is to apply
just before forsythias bloom.
I'd leave off the herbecides for now and over seed before frost. As
others suggest, I would not put in a lot of effort to seed.
If you knock the crabgrass back, you will probably need to seed again
next fall. I also use a weed and feed for weeds.