Old 02-09-2008, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Vacutone Vacutone is offline

Default Clematis newbie question

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:44:34 +0100, Nick Maclaren wrote
(in message ):

This question may sound naive but I can't find this information in three
clematis books!

Am I right n assuming that new type 2 (slight prune) clematis plants will
not
reach anything like their full size in the first year after planting but
will
get bigger over successive years?

Yes.

Thanks!

In fact I just discovered pretty much all I need to know on the web. It wass
all spelled out for me, with no messing around.

On the Clmeatis section of Gardenweb, for the first time ever I saw advice
saying that the pruning instructions for different groups were ntended for
mature plants, and that all new plants should be pruned to 1 ft in their
second spring and 18" the one after that to help them fill out (or words to
that effect). Now that was useful information, but apparently missing from my
clematis books.

--
Vacutone