Old 02-09-2008, 05:25 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
DavidM[_2_] DavidM[_2_] is offline

Default Wintering Frogs

Pond Addict wrote:
By the way, my frog book says that the kind of frogs that we have
hibernate "in mud and moss around ponds." (AROUND, not IN.) I had read
the same information that you had on the 'net, but I believe this book
since it's so detailed on the subject of frogs and toads. It's called
"The Frog Book." I think it makes more sense as well, at least for the
kind of frogs we have. I'm sure that their relatives are overwintering
in mud, moss and forest stuff in the woods. You may be able to just
provide an out-of-water area (a peat moss bed or something) for them
to over winter in. However, no matter how much effort you put in,
they're going to camp out where they want to anyway. I think most of
ours returned to the woods during the Fall last year. Do you know what
kind of frogs you have?

Piles of logs and terracotta pipes covered over with earth make a good
habitat for all garden animals. Poke leaves and moss into all the gaps
before piling on the earth and ensure there are access routes for small
creatures. Maybe even a separate section for hedgehogs and other mammals
with larger access holes.
I've seen instructions for digging garden nature ponds that suggest
building a bank from the dug out soil using this method.