Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 AM posted to aus.gardens
terryc terryc is offline

Default preparing soil for water chestnuts, how?

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 19:32:16 +0000, len gardener wrote:

not sure you need to do anything terribly special except keep the water
cover up? they will grow happily in the clayey silt in a dam, so any old
potting mix or garden soil should work.

That is the problem, we just have the backyard and the specs say 2/sq.
metres, so we are going to squeeze 2 into an old bath tub and four into an
old dairy vat.

I will probably try different soil mixtures, although we don't have a lot
of choice as we have used up most of the bath tub compost pile*. Normally
I make up a mixture 50% soil, 50% compost, 1L of lime, 1L of dolomite, 1L
of dynamic lifter, box of epson salts, bicarb soda, and potash, plus
lashing of rabbit/horse bedding. the idea is that the compost supplies the
immediate needs and the bedding and DL breaking down over time continue to
provide nutrients. But, I this is good for an aerated soil, but what about
waterlogged soil?

We will just have to suck it and see.

* half the bath tub compost is a Avocardo tree 12" high. Leaves have been
"burnt" and trying to work out if frost (rather sheltered) or if it is
just a sign that it isn't going to survive.