Old 03-09-2008, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Isabella Woodhouse Isabella Woodhouse is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
rogers wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes? If not then
just take a look.
The Heirloom tomatoes that are also known as heritage tomatoes are
open-pollinated (non-hybrid) cultivar of tomato. These tomatoes have
become increasingly popular and are more readily available in recent
years. The seeds of the Heirloom tomatoes are being saved for years and
passed from one generation to the next. Today most of the tomatoes
purchased from grocery stores are hybrids. These hybrid tomatoes are
being bred to produce higher yields and for uniformity in colors and
shapes. But its flavor is not up to the mark.
The Heirloom tomatoes are quite better in comparison to hybrid
tomatoes. The Heirloom tomatoes are first known for their amazing
flavor. In addition these tomatoes are available in distinctive shapes
and in various ranges of colors like purple, green, orange and many
more.

We do blindfold taste tests every year with our tomatoes every year.
The heirlooms often rate highly in this regard. But not always. Some
simply don't grow well in our climate while others flourish. Several of
our favorites include Pink Caspian, Amish Paste, and Mortgage Lifter.
However, we also grow many hybrids that rate highly as well.

The problem with most grocery tomatoes isn't that they are hybrids, IMO,
but that they are bred to withstand abuse in shipping and so they look
pretty on a store shelf--- no matter how tasteless and hard.

Isabella
--
"I will show you fear in a handful of dust"
-T.S. Eliot