Old 09-04-2003, 12:20 PM
peter.tyler

Default new pond question

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to ask about putting in a new pond
in our patio. If not maybe someone can tell me where i should be posting my
question to. Anyway, here's the question.

We went down to Wickes DIY over the weekend and bought a 50gallon coldwater
tank(the kind you'd use as cold water storage in the house) to use as a fish
pond for our patio. We won't be burying the rectangular black plastic
container into the ground but leaving it in the corner of the patio area.
We've seen similar looking black plastic containers in large garden centres
selling stuff for fish ponds but they were all round, we needed a square or
rectangular shaped container to fit the corner of the patio.

Anyone know if this is Ok to use as a fish pond? will exposure to sunlight &
weather etc degrade the plastic & poison the water & fish? We've filled it
up with water & had it sitting with some weeds & oxygenating plants for over
a week now, should we put some fish in or do we wait longer for the water to
settle? there's a little scummy, bubbly bits on the water surface, don't
really like the looks of it... but me thinks they're the air bubbles that's
come off the insides of the plastic container. I kind shakes it about every
now & then to get them off the sides to the surface. Any advice anyone?

cheers.

pete.