Old 03-09-2008, 09:44 PM posted to aus.gardens
Ivan Ivan is offline

Default lettuce seeds

On Sep 3, 3:47*pm, John Savage wrote:
Ivan writes:
I've also planted some potatoes in the back yard ------ Nothing coming
up yet.
In fact, they've not even sprouted.

You planted seed potatoes without shoots? *That is not recommended.
I'm not sure that you can depend on them all developing shoots while
underground.

I'm hoping something will happen soon.. :S

You may find that only a few turn into plants, and the others might
just stay dormant. It might be better to dig them up and keep them
until they have developed some shoots before replanting. Are they
not even showing swollen eyes?

What do other readers think? *

Perhaps bunnings seed potatoes weren't as good as I had hoped for them
to be.

Taters are taters. They'll all grow, provided you wait till they've
developed shoots before planting.

I suggest that you don't follow the folklore of cutting larger seed
potatoes into a few pieces. This makes them much more vulnerable to
fungal attack, even after you've let the cut dry over. It is false
economy. Buy smaller seed potatoes, and plant them whole, and almost
even one should emerge.
--
John Savage * * * * * * * *(my news address is not valid for email)

Hi there..
Thank you kindly for your advise!
How would you recommend I'd encourage the potatoes to grow shoots?
As this is my first time planting these, I'm not sure what to do!

I did, however, plant them whole, and not cut them up .... Even though
it was recommended I do so by many sourses..