Old 03-09-2008, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Parsnips

The message
from Dan Smithers contains these words:

I have been given a packet of my late father's parsnip seeds. I have
always been told that parsnips can't be stored from year to year.

I've planted parsnip seeds that were five years old, and they (or at
least, some of them) grew OK.

The date on the packet says year end sept 2008.

Is this this year's seed and I can use it as normal next year?

Probably last year's seed.

Can parsnips be sowed in the autumn and overwintered?

Yes - protected from frost. It used to be said that parsnipe were best
when they'd been frosted. We haven't had any really hard frosts (here)
recently.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig