Old 04-09-2008, 07:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news In article ,
rogers wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes?
Snob value? g

Seriously tho' I know what you mean. I've heard good things about the
flavor of heirlooms.

Vine ripe tomatoes of any variety tho' are better than any store bought
ones by _yards_.
Almost any home grown tomato is better than those red things in the store.

Yep!

A couple of years ago, in the dead of winter, I was perusing the grocery
store tomatoes and one variety actually smelled like a tomato. They
were the bright orange colored tennis-ball sized tomatoes with the stems
attached. (the yellow and the red tomatoes just like them had no smell,
just like the Roma, "greenhouse", and generic slicing tomatoes.) I
bought a few and made pico de gallo with them, saving some of the seeds.
They were actually good! I planted them in my garden the next year and
they were good fresh too, but my family wouldn't eat them because they
were the wrong color.

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

Bob

The "on the vine" tomatoes from the store are actually decent, and worth
the fact that they are twice the price of others. ;-)

I don't use a lot of fresh ones anymore, so I can afford them when I
want them as I only buy two or three at around $2.39 per lb. on average.

Last fall, I planted 2 tomatoes (around the beginning of September) in
about a 30 gallon pot, and put them in the greenhouse. I had a few ripe
tomatoes at the beginning of March...

but only because I hand pollinated.

One of these years, I'd like to try hydroponics with timed lighting. I
just cannot afford it yet.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain