Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default Toms??

The message
from "John E" contains these words:
"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...

| /
/prune|/
ó ò

Move to Sunny East Anglia and get your (outdoor) tomatoes so much earlier!

Hmm. Well, I live in Peterborough, not too far from East Anglia, and my
tomatoes are as stated. My pixie does not need any support, and the
tomatoes
are tasty!

Odd that my Shirley is so far behind yours! Although mine are beginning to
'yellow up' now.

Mine must have been planted in early May - I usually put seeds in during
February.

I do have a very organic rich compost in which they are grown. I wonder if
it is too rich? Maybe a more mineral rich compost would be better next year.

They like a good organically rich soil, and plenty of supplementary
feeding, and respond well to foliar feed. I feed with my weeds - they go
into a bucket of water, and when they smell foul enough, the liquid is
strained into a watering can and diluted with about three times its
volume of rainwater.

I've been eating Shirley for a fortnight, likewise Garden Pearl, but the
Black Cherry haven't started ripening yet. Tumbling Tom are ripening,
too.

All grown in containers (Poundland planters) in a south-facing position.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig