Old 09-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Ian

Default reviving my lawn

First, a little background. My front yard was used as a parking lot by
the previous owners. The house was split into a few apartments and
some trees have EXIT and ENTER spray painted on them (just to give you
an idea on the complete lack of care and maintenance that was
provided). The front yard is about 1/2 acre or closer to 20,000 sq.
ft. We have 2 large Oak trees, a Hickory and a few other varieties,
all well established. Last year I thought I was aerating when I pushed
by hand a little spike 'aerator' around - boy was I sore after that! I
now know better and this year I bought a plug aerator attachment for
the riding mower. Last year I threw down some grass seed & Scott's
chemical fertilizer and had little to no success.
There are areas of moss, areas of grass and areas of nothing but soil,
with tree roots coming through.

I feel I'm a little better prepared but want to run my plan of attack
by some of you more knowledgeable folks.
After doing a soil test and hoping it comes out pretty close to
neutral:
1. Clear the yard of debris - any left over leaves, twigs/branches etc
2. Aerate, aerate and then aerate again
3. Using drop spreader drop a layer of organic fertilizer
4. Using same spreader, drop fescue blend (K-31, Rebel 3d & Sentry,
Duster, Durano and various other tall fescues)
5. Top coat with a layer of muchroom soil, trying to fill in some of
the dips in the ground but generally trying to get about a 1/4inch
cover over the seed.

Does this sound good? I've already spent what I feel to be a fortune
$200 on grass seed $50 on fertilizer - not to mention the cost of the
aerator and a truck load of mushroom soil from a local farm. I've
tried to do my homework. I want to keep it chemical free (amazing how
the arrival of a baby can change you)and am not looking for the
perfect golf course look.

Sorry this was so long, thanks for any help
Ian