Old 05-09-2008, 05:58 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default lettuce seeds

"0tterbot" writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
m...
Ivan writes:
I've also planted some potatoes in the back yard ------ Nothing coming
up yet.
In fact, they've not even sprouted.

You planted seed potatoes without shoots? That is not recommended.
I'm not sure that you can depend on them all developing shoots while
underground.

i promise you, they do :-)

Then that's good enough for me! Actually, I'm sure they might *eventually*
but we've all dug up a fallow bed and discovered a few 4 month old spuds.
So I still suggest that he plant spuds that are shooting so they emerge
quickly. Otherwise, he's wasting part of the growing season. And those
that fail to emerge in short time can be assumed lost and so replaced with
a new seed potato to ensure maximum use of the garden bed.

that's how you end up with volunteers everywhere - it's how they grow

Err, *some* come up, but considering the number of discarded tiny taters,
only a fraction come up next season as plants. I've noticed some volunteers
emerge from discarded kitchen peelings, too, but not reliably.