Old 05-09-2008, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Over run with Ivy

In article ,
says...
JCYates wrote:

Can anyone help please?
I have masses of ivy that keeps encroaching on my garden. There used to be
some commercial products to kill ivy but I understand they are no longer
available. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can kill it- or at the
very best give it a severe headache to discourage it?

Many thanks

John

Wouldn't Roundup work. I seem to think that if it's green and growing
then Roundup will fix it.

Ivy has such waxy leaves it tends to run off, you can bruise the leaves
first (with a strimmer) or mix the round up with some old engine oil, but
honestly it is easier to just dig it out after cutting back or apply
stump killer type weedkillers after cutting back
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk