Old 05-09-2008, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JustTom JustTom is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 11:53:22 +0100, rogers
wrote:

Hi friends,
Do you ever heard about Heirloom tomatoes? If not then
just take a look.

I've been popping cherry tomatos for a couple of weeks now, but my
first full size one ripened this week (I planted late.).

It was a Rutgers: Juicy and very tangy. One of my favorites.
An excellent canner or to eat out of hand.

Just for fun: Rutgers (sometimes knows as Jersey) at one time
accounted for 70% of all tomato sales in the US, bolstered by the fact
that Campbells used them in their soups. As a matter of fact, the
variety was created at Rutgers University in cooperation with the soup
giant. It's parents are the Marglobe and JTD.

It made New Jersey the #1 tomato producer in the country at the time.
California now holds the distinction.

When NASA did experiments with growing food in space from seed, the
tomato seeds they used were Rutgers.

I planted 38 heirlooms this year, and it appears 35 of them made it.
Hope they are all as tasty as this first one.