Old 05-09-2008, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike' 'Mike' is offline

Default Bank errosion on a small stream, any ideas on how too stop it ??

"dutchman" wrote in message

I would use the pointed angle iron fencing posts, backed by good chain
link
fencing, then back filled with rocks. For this, you might find a
demolition
taking place where large manageable chucks of concrete could be obtained.
They would last longer with regards to erosion and the limited power even
torrent would have in trying to dislodge them.

Wooden stakes and boarding will as you realise rot and then the backfill
would be exposed and again washed away

I have noticed on another river the 'council' have used coir rolls ( a
bit like long sausages) resting upon willow faggot rolls. All with
wood posts at intervals, to hold it all back.

I would have thought that that would have only lasted 2 or 3 years,
and washed away.

Whereas I am being told if you use vaccum tanalised timber they could
last over 10 year.

How long would steel last in water ??? unless it was heavily painted
or stainless, in which case it would proably get knicked round here.
And what size crosssection for the steel

Just a few thoughts. Water is funny stuff AND powerful

The stake I have in mind is a chain link supporting stake, about 40 mm Angle
Iron, pointed and with holes in it for strainer wires. Last for years. I
would be inclined to lean them back at an angle of about 30 degrees and
drive them into the river/stream bed so the top is just below your normal
level. Chain link to straining wires through the holes, (which will be like
trying to paper a ceiling because of the leaning back) and then back fill
with the largest lumps of 'stuff' at the bottom and work up.

A job to do next summer when/IF, the stream dries out ;-)