Old 09-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] rooting hormones was; Cuttings from woody plants

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone bothered with the different strengths
of rooting hormone. I realize that certain species of Tree/plants
are harder to root than others. Are the Rooting powders found in
most garden stores enough for even difficult to root material or
is it recommended to have a variety of different strengths on
hand?

=============

I'm told that once the package/jar/envelope has been opened, the
shelf-life of the hormone is quite short, so unless you do a lot
of cuttings and air layers, it would be economically unfeasible
to keep various strengths on hand.

You need to check books such as any of Dirr's tomes beforehand to
see what your tree might need. I, for one, have found that
standard-issue Rootone in the small jars seems to work on just
about everything I've tried.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --