Old 05-09-2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I should probably plant "Black Krim" or "Green Moldovan" next year.

Not long ago I saw Black Krims for sale at Whole Foods. Our regular
grocery now claims to sell some varieties of heirloom tomatoes. They
certainly look like they could be. But I almost never buy "fresh"
tomatoes from the grocery anymore. We eat our fill in the summer and
fall from the garden.

What do you do in the winter?

Well, I try to keep warm and make it a point not to shovel any snow.
Last winter I bought "fresh" tomatoes exactly once. For cooked cuisine
requiring tomatoes, I use canned (home or store). For salads--- oh my
gosh--- I use a wide variety of fruits and veggies for salads in the
winter but no "fresh" tomatoes usually. Last winter, I think we had a
different salad everyday. I throw together what looks good. How about
you? What do you do in the winter?

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are
"on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.

Must be chemistry as those are actually decent. If the price gets too
high, I, too, will use canned, even on tacos!

I did grow a pair to tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta
worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make
sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.

My mom taught me to do that. She used to joke about "having sex with her
tomato vines". lol
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain