Old 05-09-2008, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.bamboo
Charles Manoras[_2_] Charles Manoras[_2_] is offline

Default Rhizomes running now!

"beecrofter" wrote
"Charles Manoras" wrote:
"beecrofter" wrote in

Right now in the northeast (coastal CT USA 42N lat the rhizomes of
running bamboos are making a run for it.

But sometimes a rhizome decides to take a little bit of fresh air and gets
out of the ground, sometimes almost vertically, ok not quite but maybe
at 45 or 60 degrees.

The tip of the propagating rhizome looks like a small shoot.

What happens next?

The tip keeps developing and becomes an ordinary stem?

Or something else occurs, like the tip wilting and ultimately dying?

OK, I could be patient and see how things turn out...

But I am quite curious. :-)

Mostly they dive down again once past the obstruction so they can trip
you when you work in the grove -but sometimes they turn into a half-
assed culm that is not quite vertical or as large as a normal one.

I tried to redirect the errant rhizomes towars the ground, but I would have
to bend them a lot and I think they will break if I persist.

BTW I have two bambou patches (phylostachis aureasulcata), one is doing
very well, the other not so.

The stems in May started very well, grew to about a foot or two and they
began to beand and died, about 90% of them.

The stems that did survive are however doing very well.
0.5 inch diameter, 12 feet high and more. I am puzzled.