Old 09-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Daniel Hanna

Default wish list was Burgundy Iceberg

In Kirra wrote:
Thanks, I had missed it on their site. Have you ordered from swanes
before? I noticed that their prices seem higher than quite a few other
mail order places but is that because their roses are of a higher
standard?

Relatively speaking, Swanes prices are lower now than they were 9 years
ago when I first ordered from them. They are still expensive, but the
price difference does get you a good strong bush that is always true to
label.

I really am leaning toward Heritage at the moment. Evelyn sounds nice,
but I've read in a few different places that it is not the most
vigorous plant.

I had 2 Evelyns die on me! The weakness seems to be mainly in the
rooting - if you get one, pamper it but don't let it get even damp feet.
Repeat flowering is poor but the blooms are excellent until fully open.

Heritage is a very different rose bush. Its breeding has nothing in
common with Evelyn. In Sydney it will reach 2 metres without trying.
Repeat flowering is good enough to compensate for the short bloom life.

My favourite pink Austin - which really combines the best of Heritage,
Abraham Darby, Evelyn and others - is Radio Times. I recommend that to
you.

Do you have a favourite out of
Fragrant Cloud or Tropicana if I was going to get only one?

In that vermilion colour range I'd lean towards Tropicana (Superstar)
for flower form, size and longevity, but if fragrance is your first
priority Fragrant Cloud has an edge.

I have plenty of my rose reviews online at
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/djhanna/

Hope this helps.