Old 06-09-2008, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Tomato "green shoulder": always means too much sun?

JustTom said:

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 07:06:10 -0400, Pat Kiewicz
wrote:

I'm trying Juliet to replace a variety I can't find anymore, 'Ruby.'
'Ruby' was grape-tomato size and I was able to dry it by cutting it
in half. Ruby dried to a sweet, rich flavor, good enough to snack on.
'Juliet' is less sweet when dried, but has a complex flavor that brings
to mind a dark, red wine. Not a substitute for 'Ruby' (certainly not for
snacking on, at least) but should be interesting to cook with.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds...1.html?SA=1505
http://www.housecharm.co.uk/items/69...uby-F1-Hybrid-

Seeds.html

Thompson&Morgan I've heard of, but this is a link to the UK website.
I don't order from their US catalog and don't know if Ruby is in there.

Housecharm actually doesn't sell them, it's from gardencentre.co.uk which
doesn't look to be marketing to the USA.

http://www.valueseeds.com/item-560.html

Hmm...never heard of them. Apparently they re-market old T&M stock.
Recent reviews* have been negative. However, they may be worth a try
for this.

*at http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

On a tangent, I may have finally found a mid-season slicing tomato that
both looks beautiful and tastes great, plus is highly disease resistant: a
European variety named Royesta (available from Tomato Grower's Supply).
It looks like an old heirloom type, what with the bumpy/ribbed shoulders,
but has out produced the heirlooms I'm growing, and tastes much, much
better than the other hybrid I'm growing. Royesta is State-Fair-exhibit
pretty.

After enlightenment, the laundry.