Old 06-09-2008, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Why Heirloom Tomatoes??

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

We are close to Mexico and our local store sells some tomatoes that are
"on the vine" (and they really are!) Tomatoes still attached to the vine.

Our groceries have those too. They look like Jet Stars but our regular
grocery has a very bad habit of chilling the tomatoes and ruining the
taste of even the decent tomatoes. When you cut them open, you can see
that line around the circumference that indicates they've been held at
too low a temperature. There are other problems too. They order far
too much produce and it often sits until its rotten on the inside. Ugh!
I have to be very careful. A somewhat close Whole Foods opened recently
so I might be able to get better ones there.

Perhaps... but I've done best at the farmers market when I can attend.
I seldom shop at Whole Paycheck. Sun Harvest is just as good, and more
reasonable price-wise.

Must be chemistry as those are actually decent. If the price gets too
high, I, too, will use canned, even on tacos!

I sometimes used canned diced tomatoes in salsa. Brands vary a lot.

Meh, I use generic. I have noted that canned tomatoes at least have
decent flavor. :-)

I did grow a pair of tomatoes last winter in my greenhouse and it sorta
worked. I had a few ripe tomatoes in early March, but I had to make
sure I paid attention to the plants and hand-pollinated the flowers.

I was doing that with cucumbers before we uncovered them. The zucchini
were far easier...lol.

So long as you get male and female blooms at the same time! :-)

Been there, done that.

For some reason, there is always a rash of male only blooms at the
beginning of the season. Fortunately, I LIKE stuffed squash blossoms! ;-d

Deep fried... Mmmmmm.

I am wondering if there is a good way to store some of that pollen, and
have it be viable.
--
Peace! Om

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed." --Mark Twain