Old 06-09-2008, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Do you recognise these plants? 1 of 2

In message , K
writes
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes

Hypericum - don't recognise the species.

Agreed Hypericum. Thought Tutsan at first (and from leaf colour in the
background), but berries are too elongated. Ditto Rose of Sharon. Are
there any other widely grown Hypericums of that size in the UK?

You see cultivars with a Tutsan like habit in the garden centres every
now and again. Google finds me pictures of Hypericum FLAIR(TM) (which
are Tutsan cultivars, but don't have sufficiently elongated berries).
Digging a bit further gets me to Hypericum x inodorum 'Elstead' which is
commonly grown, and does look a reasonable match.

I've seen hybrids of South American origin on sale, but none of the
names in Plantfinder ring a bell, so I can't offer images for
comparison.

|Filename: DSCN7061.JPG |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10130|

Rowan, probably the native Sorbus aucuparia (the berries look a bit on
the crimson/pink side, but I'll blame the camera - at least I've had
trouble with correct rendition of reds in digital cameras.)

If it's not that, it could be one of the pink berried ones which start
quite dark red and fade to pink or white. Leaves not right for S
vilmorinii else I'd go for that.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley