Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
[email protected] pakrat@usenet.pr.neotoma.org is offline

Default Cirrhopetalum = Bulbophylum?

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 09:00:10 -0700 in K Barrett wrote:
Ray, I didn't want umbel/non-umbel to be the end of the conversation.
People who passively read this news group listen to you. They may not read
the whole post about how confusing bulbophyllums are even to taxonomists. A
myth would persist. Neither of us want that.

I guess I'll ask the impertinant question now...
has anyone done gene sequencing on prominant plants with the Cirr
genus somtimes applied, prominant plants with the Bulbophyllum genus
applied, and the fringe cases?
I have this funny feeling that as gene sequencing improves a lot of the
existing taxonomy will be tossed on its ear.
--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."